89-12 ACADEMIC PROGRAM TECHNOLOGIST (Paramedic)
Posted on : July 20
Location : Barrie
Job Category : Education
Job Industry : Education
POSTING DATE: July 19, 2012
CLOSING DATE: July 25, 2012
Department/Campus: School of Health and Wellness / Barrie Campus
Classification: Support Staff
Status: Full-time * Less than 12 month position (Work period: mid-August to mid-June)
Payband/Salary Range: Payband J - $ 33.55 (start rate) - $ 38.90 (4-year rate)
Reports to: Dean
Hours per week: 35 hours per week
Effective Date: August 13, 2012
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The incumbent provides support for the students in the Paramedic Resource Centre (PRC) by coordinating the planning, scheduling, demonstration and supervision of practice session and learning activities including simulated learning with high-fidelity simulators. The incumbent also provides operational support to the lab including inventory and records management, and ongoing maintenance of equipment. Duties include, but are not limited to:
.Facilitating student practice and reinforcing applied pre-learned principles/theory related to paramedic skills by planning, organizing, and scheduling student learning activities, practice sessions and skill practice demonstrations;
- Setting up equipment and supplies in the lab for student practice and other events as required (i.e. Preview day, Information day, etc);
- Ensuring all lab safety standard and requirements (i.e. WHMIS, infection control, etc) are being followed;
- Organizing and implementing in-service training / orientation for students and faculty on equipment in the lab;
- Assisting with the attainment of field placements opportunities for students and monitoring placements via work place visits and/or phone consultations;
- Performing inventory management tasks such as purchasing new equipment and scheduling on-going maintenance as well as ordering and stocking supplies to ensure adequate supplies are available;
- Maintaining resources in the PRC such as computer resources, learning tools, posters, manuals, journal articles, and video/reference textbooks and simulation equipment; and
- Maintaining and tracking paramedic student's safety and skill progress records, immunization records, Cardio-Pulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) / First Aid certificates, and criminal record checks. QUALIFICATIONS:
Georgian College invites and encourages applications from all qualified candidates including persons of Aboriginal ancestry, members of visible minorities, persons with disabilities, and women.
- Successfully completed a two year diploma in Primary Care Paramedic (PCP) combined with a one year post-diploma in Advanced Care Paramedic (ACP).
- Successful completed the Advanced Emergency Medical Care Assistant (AEMCA) and Advanced Care Paramedic (ACP) certifications.
- Five years' recent experience in the field in a combination of Primary Care Paramedic and Advanced Care Paramedic roles.
- Experience with training and demonstrating skills to others.
- Experience with ordering supplies, inventory management and tracking systems.
- Demonstrated knowledge of equipment, cooperative learning and adult learning principles.
- Demonstrated knowledge of health and safety rules and regulations.
- Demonstrated computer skills using the Microsoft Office Suite to record and track information.
- Interpersonal and communication (oral & written) skills with the ability to handle requests and problems professionally with tact and diplomacy.
- Ability to work independently and as an effective team player to ensure the smooth functioning of the academic support staff team.
- Numerical skills with the ability to manipulate data to aid in the purchase and monitoring of supplies and equipment.
- Conflict resolution and critical thinking skills to recognize potential problems, interpret and understand requests, and take appropriate action to resolve.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS) or Critical Care certifications would be considered assets.
- Courses in Teaching and Training Adults would be an asset.
- Experience with high fidelity simulators would be an asset.
HOW TO APPLY:
To be considered for this position, please forward your application to email@example.com quoting the competition number (i.e. 89/12) in the subject line of the email. Late applications will not be considered.
Georgian College is committed to an inclusive, barrier-free selection process. If contacted regarding this competition, please advise the interview coordinator of accommodation measures you may require during our selection process. Information received relating to accommodation needs of applicants will be addressed confidentially.
Georgian College supports diversity, equity and a workplace free from harassment and discrimination. Personal information contained in applications will be used for recruitment purposes and collected as per Freedom of Information (F.O.I.) And Protection of Privacy Act, 1987. While we thank all applicants, only those contacted for an interview will be acknowledged.