Trillium Health Centre
Posted on : June 1
Location : Mississauga
Job Category : Nursing
Job Industry : Healthcare/Medical
Our People Promise
This is Trillium"s promise to you.
You are our most valued and trusted resource in providing quality, patient-centred care. Our ability to continue to positively impact the lives of the individuals who seek our care rests in your hands - the Outstanding People who work at Trillium Health Centre.
We respect your time, contribution and dedication to our patients and to our health centre by offering you a Total Rewards Program that allows you to lead the quality of life you want.
Trillium has pledged to develop the health care leaders of tomorrow. We offer a stimulating and innovative work environment with numerous learning and professional development events to enhance your career and to help you benefit from the many advancement opportunities available at the health centre and in our community. At Trillium, learning happens in many ways and in many places.
Trillium is more than just a place to work. It"s a place for you to grow, to create, to inspire and to be inspired, as you help lead the hospital in making a difference in the lives of the people we serve.
Outstanding people generate amazing results.
• As an active member of a high functioning interdisciplinary team, the Orthopaedic Technologist provides client-centred clinical care to support the delivery of the service for orthopaedic patients in the Fracture Clinic/Hospital
• Carries out responsibilities and assists in the care of patients in clinic, in-patient units and the O.R. Functions under the direction of the Orthopaedic Surgeon. Works with the health care team in providing a safe environment for patients, staff, physicians, volunteers and others. Works within the current policies and guidelines of the hospital.
• Current registration by the Canadian Society of Orthopaedic Technologists (CSOT)
• Graduate of a recognized Orthopaedic Technologist Programme sanctioned by the CSOT, apprenticeship programme, and sponsorship by an Orthopaedic Physician
• Minimum 3 years of work experience working directly in the care of orthopaedic patients
• Knowledge of and experience with Orthopaedic conditions/injuries and casting including related orthopaedic technologies
• Knowledge of theory and application of skin, skeletal and manual traction
• Demonstrated continuing education (as per registration requirement)
• Certified Bracing Technician is an asset
• Nursing/Medical background is an asset
• Plastics Clinic experience is an asset
• Superior communication and interpersonal skills required
• Demonstrated superior customer service skills required
• Energetic, highly motivated, detail oriented individual with strong work ethic
• Demonstrated strong organizational skills
• Positive attendance and work record essential
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
• Proficient in the application of casting and orthopaedic technologies
• Responsibilities include applying, trimming, bi-valving, windowing and removing casts; applying and removing bandages and splints; assisting physicians with traction and casts in the Operating Room, on units and in the Emergency Department; assisting units with traction if required
• Expert knowledge and application of aseptic technique in dressing change, removal of sutures, staples, pins and external fixators, setting up surgical field for injections and minor procedures
• Provides education related to orthopaedic treatments and follow-up care to patients and families
• Participates in the supervision and training of Orthopaedic Technicians and students
• Performs work assignments under the direction of an orthopaedic surgeon and follows hospital and nursing policies. Works within scope of practice.
• Maintains an adequate supply of all equipment and supplies used in clinic.
• Ensures equipment and supplies are in safe working order, and reports need for repair and replacement.
• Follows hospital guidelines and standards for documentation including incident reporting.
• Provides education to patients and families (eg cast care, brace and appliance application, wound care, osteoporosis, injections, crutch use, pre-op preparation)
• Maintains CSOT registration and competence by attending in-services, workshops, conferences, physicians" rounds etc.
• Ensures economical use of supplies. Follows clinic finance guidelines.
• Observes the work area, equipment and supplies for hazardous conditions and infection prevention and control
• Performs other duties as assigned and required.
Make Trillium Health Centre your career destination. We want you to be inspired by what we are doing. Trillium is a two-site, academically affiliated, tertiary level hospital located in Mississauga and West Toronto, with regional programs in cardiac, stroke, vascular, orthopaedics, and sexual assault and domestic violence. Our mission, vision and values, combined with our strategic initiatives, are what make Trillium Health Centre an award-winning and nationally respected health care leader. Join our highly talented team in a culture of learning, innovation and visionary thinking.
At Trillium the following Standards for Behaviour
Show our Commitment to Each Other, to our Patients and their Families
Respect - Communication - Safety - Accountability - Courtesy
Privacy - Commitment to Co-Workers - Appearance
Trillium Health Centre & Its Properties are
Smoke Free Zones